Monday, March 4, 2013

Izzy Blog Review

When I was looking for one to respond to I noticed that Izzy's Blog Post had been on the same book that I was reading. Izzy's post was on "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult having just started that book I agree with the points that she made. 

I felt really bad for the mother of Jacob and Theo because of everything that she was put through. It must be really hard to raise a kid with aspergers and on top of that have to raise another child as well. She was under appreciated and all she did was for her children. Part of the story was from her perspective and you could see that she had ambitions that she was never able to live out because of her kids. another thing that I saw that Izzy didn't mention was this scene about the mother not thinking about herself. It is the scene where the police officer comes to their house to ask them about the murder of Jess. The mother, Emma ends up talking to the officer and he comments on how much Jacob knows about forensics, Emma says "Tell me something I don't know." then the officer says "You have really pretty eyes."  I thought that this really highlights how the mother doesn't even think of herself anymore. 

I felt much worse for Theo than I did for Jacob or the mother because he was at a tough point in his life and he was fully aware of what people thought of him and his brother. I agree that Jacob ruined a lot of things for Theo and that he never lived up to the big brother expectations that Theo had for him. 

Also, Jacob is really smart and has an interesting perspective but I didn't really connect with him the same way that I felt bad for Emma and Theo. The only time that I really got caught up in the parts of Jacob's narration is when he began to talk about Jess. I thought it was so sad that he was in love with Jess, or at least assumed that he was, because Jess would never really feel the same. I was surprised that Izzy didn't mention this in her blog because it was a big part of the story, maybe she just hadn't reached that point of the book yet. It is a really interesting part of the book and I think that as a reader it was interesting and really gets you to pity Jacob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment